100 Movie Dare|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
100 Movie Dare's LiveJournal:
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Sunday, March 28th, 2010|
Just Saw Hot Tub Time Machine
So I saw Hot Tub Time Machine. Theater was packed, ha. Surprised I was able to get tickets. Anyways it was a great watch; in fact I am seeing it later tonight! One of the best lines from the movie. Craig Robinson is absolutely ridiculous.
|Friday, October 6th, 2006|
8/20 Blast From the Past
8/27 Cabin Fever
9/01 Take the Lead
9/03 Dolly Dearest
Urban Legend: Bloody Mary
9/04 The Ron Clark Story
9/08 Something New
9/09 Elizabeth I
9/10 Freaks and Geeks Series
9/11 The Cheetah Girls 2
9/12 Lonesome Jim
10/02 Race the Sun
|Friday, July 7th, 2006|
|Sunday, June 25th, 2006|
She's at it again...
38. Stay Alive
39. Six Feet Under, Season 2
40. Six Feet Under, Season 3
41. Six Feet Under, Season 4
42. Beauty Shop
43. Stick It
45. Memoirs of a Geisha
47. Pride and Prejudice
48. The DaVinci Code
49. The New World
50. Last Holiday
53. Tristan and Isolde
54. The Omen
55. Six Feet Under, Season 5
56. Sin City
57. The Fraternity
58. Shadows in the Sun
59. The Machinist
60. Kill Bill, Vol. 1
61. Hell Boy
62. Kill Bill, Vol. 2
63. A Girl Like Me
64. The Mudge Boy
|Friday, April 28th, 2006|
I'm new. But I"ve been keep my own tally since January. So I thought I'd put up my list. No musicals yet, if that is what you are doing. List goes from latest watched and I took out re-watches (I think it was only one. Harry Potter of course) & made for TV movies, which I watch a lot of. Geez my count shrunk some. LOL!:1. Thunderpants - with Rupert Grint. Eccentric British Comedy, never came to the states.2. Hostle - Why did I bother
3. Marathon Man
4. Yours, Mine & Ours (2005)
5. The Basketball Diaries 6. The Weather Man - Another Why did I bother
8. Brokeback Mountain 9. Pride and Predjudice (2005) - A&E Much better.
10. Scary Movie 4
11. Phat Girls
12. The Benchwarmers
13. I Love Your Work
14. Lord of War
15. Get Rich or Die Tryin'
16. Saw 2 17. A History of Violence - I hated this movie!
18. Ice Age 2
19. Good Night, and Good Luck
21. The Shaggy Dog (2006)
22. Derailed 23. Last Holiday (1950) - Funny but not as funny as the newer version. Still pretty good.
24. Hustle & Flow
26. North Country
27. Pride of the Yankees
29. Two For the Money
30. Just Friends (2005)
31. Boiler Room
32. Walk the Line
33. Media's Family Reunion 34. Zathura - I actually enjoyed this. Got it for my daughter. I think I liked it more than she did.
35. Cinderella Man
36. Oliver Twist (2005)
37. …And Justice for All
38. Eight Below
39. Date Movie
40. Big Fish
41. I Like It Like That
42. The Constant Gardner
44. Something's Gotta Give
45. The Fog
48. Living Out Loud
49. Big Momma’s House 2 50. Monsoon Wedding * - Hindi Movie - very very good
51. Huevos de Oro * - In Spanish - not bad either
53. Roll Bounce
54. Reign of Fire
55. Last Holiday (2006)
56. The Onion Field
57. The Honeymooners
58. The Cave
59. Midnight Express
60. Dear Frankie
|Sunday, April 2nd, 2006|
25. Neverland (-3) This was terrible, and as much as I wanted to enjoy it because Wil Wheaton is in it... I just couldn't. Yuck.
26. Corpse Bride (3) It was okay, had some funny moments, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.
27. Saw II (3.5) Not as good as the original (obviously, sequels rarely are) but I liked the ending, again. Leaving it open for yet another sequel.
28. Transamerica (4) Felicity Huffman did a wonderful job of being a woman playing a man pretending to be a woman. I'm confused just typing it, I can't imagine what it was like for her to do.
29. Explorers (3) A cheesy early 80's movie with Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix. There was almost some kiddy/alien puppet sex, which would have been weird...
30. Bootmen (4) I love dancing movies, and dancing movies about men, AUSTRALIAN men, starring Adam Garcia is always a good thing.
31. Waiting... (2.5) Not as funny as I'd hoped. Seemed rather junior-highish.
32. Bad News Bears (3.5) I've never seen the original, and I'm not a big fan of Billy Bob Thorton, but this was funny.
33. Prince and Me 2: A Royal Wedding (3) I loved the original and the original Eddie was back. But, Julia Stiles was not and I think that made a difference.
34. The Yards (1) Not good.
35. Hustle and Flow (2.5) Not what I'd hoped for. And Terrence Howard was really hard to understand most of the time.
36. The Kiss (3.5) Caught it on a free Showtime weekend, and stayed up late to finish it. There was some eye-tearing... Current Mood: calm
|Saturday, February 18th, 2006|
First Update of the New Year
turtgurl and I are still knocking around ideas about what to do with this challenge this year... I know, I know, it's already the middle of February. But for now, just keep recording your movies. I know that we want to take an idea from a member (sorry, I can't remember which one! Don't hate me!) and have a musical requirement. Maybe 5 or 10 of your movies should be musicals? Like I said, still working on the details. Here's what I've watched so far in 2006. Current Mood: content
1. The Skeleton Key (3/5 stars) Not as scary as it could have been, and I would have enjoyed more information about Voodoo/Hoodoo. I watched this in the middle of the afternoon, but I would have been fine watching it in the dead of night.
2. The Longest Yard (4 stars) I've never seen the original, but Adam Sandler can pretty much make me laugh at anything. Chris Rock was a hoot, too.
3. The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (2 stars) This was watched in an effort to see all the movies made by an Astin brother. Mackenzie Astin tried really hard to bring up the tone of this awful movie, but those FUGLY dwarfs did it in.
4. Clay Pigeons (4.5) Originally this was rented to help the roommate in her quest to see all of Joaquin Phoenix's movies, but it turned out being extremely funny. I love Vince Vaughn, and this movie increased that love level.
5. Party Girl (3) I used to think that Parker Posey could do no wrong, and she did do a good job of playing a drugged up loser... but the rest of the movie was terrible.
6. Brokeback Mountain (4.5) I really liked this movie. I went to it mostly to see if I could see where the controversy was, but I didn't see it. Heath Ledger probably doesn't deserve all the award accolades he's receiving, but he did make me tear up at the end.
7. Batman Begins (3.5) I'm not a huge fan of the Batman franchise, but this one was better than the George Clooney/Val Kilmer years.
8. Real Women Have Curves (4) The Latina girl from "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" is in this one, and she does a great job showing the struggle to helps ones family or oneself.
9. The 40 Year Old Virgin (4) I laughed until I almost wet myself. I don't know if it was because it was actually that funny or because there were only two of us in the theater. I love Paul Rudd.
10, Darkness (1) Terrible. Poor Anna Paquin.
11. Elvis Has Left the Building (3.5) Pretty funny and I love John Corbett. This was definitely not a thinker, but I had fun with it.
12. It's All About Love (1) I was ready to slit my wrists by the time this terrible Joaquin Phoenix/Claire Danes fiasco ended. Vomit.
13. High School Musical (3.5/ Musical #1) Yes, it was a cheesy Disney Channel Movie, and yes, the story has been told a million times before, but I liked it. Did you know that 9 of the songs from this movie have already reached the Billboard Top 100 Hit Singles Chart? Whoda guessed it!
14. Glory Road (5) Love, love, loved it! Of course, I'm a sucker for sports movies, but still it was fantastic.
15. Sybil (3.5) Sally Field can do no wrong, and how interesting and challenging would it be to actually play 15 different characters in one movie. Watching this inspired me to check out the book it was based on, aptly named "Sybil".
16. Crash (3) I didn't think this was as good as everyone made it out to be. And Matt Dillon creeps me out no matter what role he's playing, so this role was perfect for him. Oscar worthy, though? No.
17. The Jazz Singer (3/ Musical #2) Neil Diamond as a Jewish cantor struggling against his faith to become a rock star. Too bad it was so long, because I love me some Neil!
18. In Her Shoes (3) Appropriately cheesy chick flick. I don't like Cameron Diaz, but the role of Maggie was written for her. I wish Toni Collette would get more play.
19. Believe (3.5) I had a hard time remembering what this movie was for a second... probably not a good sign. But, it was a ghost story that made me a little scared to go downstairs in the dark, so for that I'll give it a higher score. It did its job.
20. Ring of Darkness (1.5/ Possibly Musical #3, but probably not intended as such) Awful, awful, awful. But, the premise of it sounded really funny, so I had to TiVo it. A guy joins a BOY BAND (key words, here) who are actually zombies out to make him one, too. Hee hee.
21. The Believer (4) Ryan Gosling sure makes some thinking movies. I almost sent this one back to Netflix before watching it because it sounded so deep. And it was, but I got sucked into it. Jew Nazi, enough said.
22. From Just to Kelly (3/ Musical #3) I loved the first season of American Idol, and as cheesy as this was, it made me smile. Some of the songs were fun, but the spontaneous dancing/singing was as corny as it was intended to be.
23. Happy Accidents (3.5) Vincent D'nofrio (spelling, whatever, I call him Twitchy) and Marisa Tomei are lovers. He's from the future... chaos ensues.
24. Saw (4) I didn't think I'd like this one. I thought it was going to be all blood and gore. And it was, but there was also a suspenseful plot line that I enjoyed. And the end! Holy shit! I am not so patiently waiting for the sequel to arrive in the mailbox. Hello! Donnie Wahlberg!
|Friday, February 3rd, 2006|
2006 challenge... still in the works
If anyone from last years challenge is up for yet another, keep watching this space.
turtgurl and I are currently working out the details of what we should do this year. The thought of having the number of movies be closer to 200 has been mentioned...
Also, I believe there should be an amendment to the NEW movie rule. And since I'm one of the moderators, I can do that. If you're like me, you may not remember seeing a movie from years ago. Or, also like me, you may not remember huge chunks of it, choosing to have retained only one scene. We're still debating, but I think these rewatched movies should count.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, let me know! Current Mood: contemplative
|Tuesday, January 10th, 2006|
You know what, folks? I totally forgot to list Harry Potter and the Golbet of Fire
, so I actually saw 39 films in 2005. As for the fourth installment of the HP series, I give it four stars. ****
And there you go.
Also, is this community still gonna be active in 2006? Are the rules gonna remain the same? Also, what if you've seen parts of a film, but never the whole thing? Or what if you saw a movie a long time ago, when you were a little kid, and you can't really remember it at all? Do those count as movies you haven't seen? Or can they not be reviewed?
K, that's all. Happy 2006!
|Monday, January 2nd, 2006|
Actually, got a few more...
36. The Island... 2.0 stars ... I don't care much for action flicks. They tend to bore me and sometimes put me to sleep. This one was no different.
37. Mad Hot Ballroom... 4.0 stars... I loved this one. Way cute and fun.
38. American Splendor... 2.5 stars... American booooooring
K, that's all for 2005.
|Wednesday, December 28th, 2005|
So I didn't even come close...
26. He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not ... 3.5/5.0
Good flick, but not my favourite Audrey Tautou film. That title goes to Happenstance
27. Treasure Planet ... 1.0/5.0
Awful, awful Disney movie. I don't know what possessed the House of Mouse to make such a horrible animated flick.
28. Brother Bear ... 3.0/5.0
Not the best Disney movie, but also a lot better than I was anticipating. I'd actually buy this one if I had some extra cash laying around.
29. Home on the Range ... 3.0/5.0
Also not the best Disney movie, but not horrible like everyone was making it out to be. I'd also be willing to purchase this one if I had the cash.
30. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ... 3.5/5.0
Can't really compare it to the original - the two are different and likable in their own ways.
31. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind ... 2.0/5.0
I really wanted to like this movie, but it was just boring. Maybe I need to watch it again.
32. Corpse Bride ... 3.5/5.0
I really liked this movie a lot. I can't wait for it to come to DVD.
33. Zoolander ... 3.5/5.0
Very funny movie. It comes as a surprise to many that I had never seen it before.
34. Wallace and Grommit : Curse of the Were-Rabbit ... 3.0/5.0
Cute movie. I liked it.
35. Me and You and Everyone We Know ... 3.5/5.0
I liked this movie a lot. It's funny, amoung other things. And good.
|Monday, December 5th, 2005|
Slowing down here near the end...
113. One Tree Hill, Season 1 (I'm addicted, I can't help myself!)
114. Elizabethtown (The advertisements made this look like it would be so good. They lied.)
115. Prime (Cute, and my boyfriend, Brian Greenberg is super HOT!)
116. Walk the Line (Loved it. Probably my favorite movie of the year)
117. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Loved it, but could have been longer and I wouldn't have minded. Just to get in more of the book.)
118. The Perfect Score (Cheesy MTV movie, starring my boyfriend BG)
119. Sahara (Eh, Steve Zahn was funny...)
120. Madagascar (Not as good as everyone said)
121. Shark Tale (Also not as good as people said)
122. Millions (Cute English movie)
123. The Engagement Ring (Cheesy, but perfect for a lazy morning in a hotel.)
|Tuesday, November 1st, 2005|
100 and beyond! Cross posted to the group. These are in no particular order, except that Ben and I just saw Good Night and Good Luck last night, it was awesome.( 1 through 90Collapse )
91) Gods of Olympia (1), the third of the Netflix gay softcore trilogy. Don’t fret, I'll find more.
92) First Love and Other Pains / One of Them (2, mediocre gay shorts)
93) Control Room (3, interesting, but eventually you'll have enough being beaten over the head and will want to go to bed)
94) Vera Drake (5! She helps those girls!)
95) Prom Queen (3, real life is never as pretty as the movies)
96) A Home at the End of the World (3, peculiar but strangely predictable)
97) Unprecedented: The 2000 Presidential Election (4, grr...)
98) Kathy Griffin: Allegedly (5, you funny lady)
99) The Corporation (3, I was looking forward to this but expected more)
100) Bush's Brain (4, scary)
101) It Was a Wonderful Life (3, very interesting subjects, sad)
102) Eating Out (4, hot. Rather, H.O.T.T.)
103) North Country (4, those bastards!)
104) Thumbsucker (4, but the book is better)
105) The Skeleton Key (3, ooooooooh!)
106) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (3, the book AND the original movie are better)
107) Good Night and Good Luck (5! Brilliantly restrained and extremely well acted. I'm going to read further about Murrow, see if all that's true.)
|Tuesday, September 27th, 2005|
Once again, long time coming
I won't be able to rate these, I know everyone is very sad... *grin*
77. Once Upon a Yesterday
78. Bigger Than the Sky
79. Arrested Development Season One (loved it!)
81. Go Figure
82. One Hour Photo
83. 7 Days to Live
85. Immortal Beloved
86. Spy Kids 2, The Land of Lost Dreams
89. Alfie (BAD!)
90. Head Over Heels
91. Red Dragon
92. You Got Served (TERRIBLE!)
93. Shadow of the Vampire
94. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Johnny Depp version, Loved it!)
95. The Very Long Engagement (Liked it, not as much as Amelie, though)
97. Coach Carter
98. Dead Like Me, Season 2 (Loved it!)
99. Must Love Dogs
100. The Pacifier
101. The Brothers Grimm
102. Dear Frankie
103. A Lot Like Love
104. Bring It On Again
105. Wedding Crashers (Loved it!)
106. Maria Full of Grace
108. Red Eye
109. Carnivale Season 2 (Loved it, hated that it's over...)
110. Just Like Heaven (Super cute)
111. Hansel and Gretel
112. Dance 'til Dawn (Love 80's TV stars? See this movie!)
|Monday, August 8th, 2005|
Has anyone seen the movie Murderball? If so, what did you think of it? I really loved it, I havent seen a documentary that great in awhile. Everyone should check it out! And, if anyone is interested, the music in the movie was great too! I think i may pick up the soundrack
, its got some great stuff on it, like Ministry, Ween, and The Moldy Peaches.
|Thursday, August 4th, 2005|
Another Long Overdue Update! (x-posted to personal)( The Past...Collapse )
67) Fantastic Four (++)
68) Batman Begins (++)
69) 200 American (+)
70) Tanner '88 (++, the one and only season)
71) Locked Up (-)
72) The Yes Men (++)
73) The Boys of St. Vincent (++)
74) The Boys of St. Vincent: Fifteen Years Later (+++)
75) Eden's Curve (+)
76) Shiner (-)
77) American Splendor (+)
78) Incident at Loch Ness (-)
79) The Wicksboro Incident (++)
80) The Love Machine (-)
81) A Dirty Shame (++)
82) Fantasm (---)
|Sunday, July 31st, 2005|
49. Logan's Run, 1976
48. National Treasure, 2004
47. The Grapes of Wrath, 1940 - AFI100 #5
46. Goldfinger, 1964
45. Goodbye, Mr. Chips, 1939
44. Meet the Fockers, 2004
43. From Russia With Love, 1963
At this rate, not sure I'll make 100.... Current Mood: lethargic
|Tuesday, July 19th, 2005|
50 movie dare? Is that okay?
I really don't think I'm going to reach 100 by year's end. Oh, well.
I've watched a lot of movies since last time I posted. Before I list those, let me do a recap of the first six movies I watched this year.
1. The Life Aquatic... 4/5
2. Ocean's Twelve... 3/5
3. My Fair Lady (#91
on AFI)... 3/5
4. The Jerk... 2/5
5. Sideways... 4/5
6. Bottle Rocket... 4/5
Okay, now for the more recent stuff:
7. The Jacket... It was okay. Kinda corny. I think a lot of people wanted to like it cos of that Adrian Brody guy. 2.5/5
8. The Motorcycle Diaries (Diarios de Motocicleta)... Slow-paced and a bit of a disappointment. Still decent. 3/5
9. Without a Paddle... Horrible, and not funny. 1/5
10. Maria, Full of Grace... It was good. Sad, too. 3.5/5
11. Kumar and Harold Go to White Castle... I didn't wanna like this movie, but I did, and I found myself laughing a lot. 3.5/5
12. The Forgotten... It was pretty good. I'd watch it again. 3/5
13. Porco Rosso... A film by Hayao Miyazaki. Strange, but cute, and good. Not his best, tho. 3.5/5
14. Old School... Dumb. Sorry, but true! 2/5
15. The Incredibles... I fell asleep both times I tried watching this. Booooooring. 2/5
16. Kung Fu Hustle... Very, very funny. But there was a part where I did get teary-eyed. 4/5
17. The Cat Returns... Another film by Hayao Miyazaki's studio. This one's quite cute and quite good. 4/5
18. Grave of the Fireflies... This one's by a guy who works at Miyazaki's studio. What a depressing movie! Still, excellent. 4/5
19. Star Wars Episode 3... This one's only the 2nd Star Wars flick I've seen all the way through (the other being Episode 2). Fun to watch, but I could take it or leave it. 3/5
20. Snow White: A Tale of Terror... Interesting to see different interpretations of childhood favourites. Still, this was kinda lamziez. 2/5
21. The Interpreter... I liked it just cos it has to do with stuff I'm interested in. Otherwise, there was some cheese in this movie. 3/5
22. Batman Begins... I liked Burton's Batman movies better, but this was still interesting, I guess. 3/5
23. The Spanish Apartment (L'auberge Espagnole)... Man, I liked this one a lot. Definitely a favourite, and made me wanna rush off to Spain. 4/5
24. Moulin Rouge... I was kinda dreading seeing this one. I had caught snippets of it before on TV which annoyed me greatly. But in watching the entire thing from start to finish, I have to say I liked it a lot more than I expected. 3.5/5
25. Bad Education (La Mala Educacion)... I love this movie. 5/5 (This film also receives an award for being the only film thus far this year to get five stars from me!)
|Monday, June 27th, 2005|
- D.E.B.S- ***- A cheesy, campy movie about a Charlie's Angels type squad. It was enjoyable because it was cheesy.#42
- Uptown Girls- ***- Could have been better, but overall, it was ok.#43
- Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle- ***#44
- Batman Begins- *****- This movie rocked my socks! I saw it at an IMAX which was really intense. Katie Holmes didn't even get on my nerves. She was actually pretty good. :) Christian Bale was awesome as always.#45
- Collateral- ***- It held my attention. Overall, I thought it was pretty good.
|Saturday, June 25th, 2005|
42. The Awful Truth, 1937
41. Rear Window, 1954
40. Gone with the Wind: Collector's Edition, 1939 - AFI 100 #4
39. Dr. No, 1962
38. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, 2004
37. Jezebel, 1938
36. You Can't Take It With You, 1938